About Me

Murrieta, CA, United States
Hi! Welcome to my blog. I am a mixed media artist who lives in Murrieta, California. I work in acrylics, watercolor, pastel, charcoal and other water and drawing media. My main subjects are abstracts, abstract landscapes, florals and gardens, equine abstracts and pet portraits. I love to use color! I try to incorporate the three C's in all of my work - color, contrast and composition! Most of these paintings are for sale. Please check with me for availability and prices if not posted. Contact me at: carol.engles@gmail.com carolenglesart.blogspot.com or text me at: (951) 704-2440 carolengles.artspan.com Art copyrighted 2008-2023

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Dressage Horse Two

11 x 14 charcoal drawing on paper. I thought I would do another dressage horse and also make a statement about helmets. I am an advocate for helmets. Years ago, I fell off my now 30 year old Quarter Horse, Macs, hit a rock and punctured/cracked the shell of my helmet. It was one of those old, velvet covered helmets without any vents and frankly was not that comfortable. But, it was a real safety helmet and on that day it protected my head. There are more voices encouraging the use of helmets by all riders and especially dressage riders after some serious injuries this year to top riders. Olympian Courtney King-Dye suffered a skull fracture after a fall, was in a coma,  and is now thankfully recovering.  So, I did this drawing with a rider wearing a helmet instead of a top hat to show that you can still look elegant.

2 comments:

Theresa Paden said...

I love this drawing!! I completely agree with you about wearing helmets, too. My daughter's horse tripped a few years ago and my daughter fell off over the horse's head. Even though she landed in sand and was wearing a helmet, she still had a slight concussion. I can't imagine how much worse it would have been without the helmet! I think a lot of people think that because they are riding in sand, they don't need a helmet, but they still do.

Carol Engles said...

Thanks Theresa! So glad your daughter is OK. GREAT point about falling in sand. I bet a lot of riders think riding at the beach or in sandy arenas is safer than other places. Congratulations again on all your wonderful horses. I am so impressed with both your work and your effort.