About Me

Murrieta, CA, United States
Hi! Welcome to my blog. I am a mixed media artist who lives in Murrieta, California. I work in acrylics, watercolor, pastel, charcoal and other water and drawing media. My main subjects are abstracts, abstract landscapes, florals and gardens, equine abstracts and pet portraits. I love to use color! I try to incorporate the three C's in all of my work - color, contrast and composition! Most of these paintings are for sale. Please check with me for availability and prices if not posted. Contact me at: carol.engles@gmail.com carolenglesart.blogspot.com or text me at: (951) 704-2440 carolengles.artspan.com Art copyrighted 2008-2023

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Dales Pony Stallion Two , equine charcoal drawing by Carol Engles

10 x 14 charcoal on paper. I love ponies! I have never seen a Dales Pony in person, but this is my impression of one. They are sturdy, powerful, short coupled ponies with lots of feather on their legs like Friesians and Shires. They were used to carry lead from the mines in England - can you imagine? They are one of the many wonderful pony breeds of the British Isles. They are prized for driving, riding and jumping! To draw this pony I drew a trotting pony with a short, compact back and made sure that it had a deep body and thick neck held proudly. Most of my charcoal drawings are drawn without an under sketch, I just go at it with the charcoal and hope for the best. Then I use an eraser to shade areas and finish up with extra line if needed. I only do these when I think I have my act together, because there is no room for mistakes. Hope you like it!

No comments: