About Me

Murrieta, CA, United States
Hi! Welcome to my blog. I am a mixed media artist who lives in Murrieta, California. I work in acrylics, watercolor, pastel, charcoal and other water and drawing media. My main subjects are abstracts, abstract landscapes, florals and gardens, equine abstracts and pet portraits. I love to use color! I try to incorporate the three C's in all of my work - color, contrast and composition! Most of these paintings are for sale. Please check with me for availability and prices if not posted. Contact me at: carol.engles@gmail.com carolenglesart.blogspot.com or text me at: (951) 704-2440 carolengles.artspan.com Art copyrighted 2008-2023

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Bronze City Corner

10 x 14 mixed media on paper. This piece uses a new color combination for me - bronze or gold green with aqua and brown. I really think it is an interesting combo! This one will inspire me to do a larger one as well. Some one just asked me the following:  Why don't you do large pieces all the time? Why does your art have to be framed? And why don't you do a lot of work on canvas?  My answers to these questions: I do small pieces for small places, as well as serving as studies for larger ones. I have sold medium ones like this to stand alone and have sold them as a grouping or series of 2, 3 or 4 paintings. They look great together and make a larger impact. And, finally, I create larger pieces on their own or based on smaller studies. Because I usually work on paper, these all need to be framed under glass. I purposely keep my prices reasonable so buyers can afford framing which can be expensive. I also have clients who are pleased with ready- to- made frames which are economical. Obviously, framing protects the work on paper.  Framing and glass also brings out the brilliance of  pastels and watercolors. The colors are so vibrant under glass. It is hard to describe until you see them in person. I know a lot of people like works on canvas - so do I - but, pastels and watercolors have their own special qualities.  And finally, I don't paint a lot on canvas, because I LOVE working on paper. I have had classes in oil painting, printmaking, weaving, design and others. So, I have had the opportunity and training with canvas and I do works on canvas, but I really do prefer paper. I like to do under paintings on paper and then use drawing materials on top. I wouldn't do any of this, if I wasn't enjoying myself. Whew! That was a longwinded post! Anyway, hope you got an insight on my artistic philosophy!

No comments: